Saturday 5 May 2018

New Lenses!


So, in my last post about Dorrigo, I mentioned that my stalwart Canon EF-S 18-55mm kit lens had stopped working on auto focus.

I had tried using it on manual but because I wear multi focal lenses I find it difficult (even with the diopter adjusted) to get the correct focus all the time.  My glasses bump against the eyepiece and, depending on the position of the Sun I get blinded by light through the gap of the eyepiece and my glasses.  Sometimes I'd get it right and sometimes it was slightly out.

The lens was 6 years old and had had a really good workout over that time.  I didn't want to purchase another kit lens; I wanted to go up a step.  

I searched online for a few weeks, getting ideas of what I could get.  I wanted a 'wide-ish' angle lens that went a bit wider than the 18mm I had been used to.  A little dismayed by prices (I am a hobby photographer) I have to put value for money (price!) at the top of the list.

I had wanted to keep to Canon products but soon realised that was not going to be within the budget constraints.  So, I started searching for other brands, namely Tamron and Sigma.  It's not easy when faced with different options!  And then something popped up from an area that I had not considered.

As you may know, if you follow my blog regularly (AND YOU SHOULD!) I own a few film cameras.  I am always on the search for new film cameras in good condition.  One of the places I have found to be good to find vintage film cameras is Facebook Marketplace.  I had the idea one day to change my search options from Film Cameras to Canon Lenses.  One advertisement stood out to me.

It was for 2 Tamron lenses with a Canon EF-S Mount; a Tamron 18-270mm f3.5-6.3 and a Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5.  They came with UV filters also.  I was stoked!  Firstly, I could leave the 18-270mm on my camera and get the best of a wide angle and large zoom capability or, I could put on the 10-24 and get even wider angle shots.  I put in an offer and was happy that the seller agreed with the lower than advertised price.  When I picked them up I was even more surprised to find that each lens had its own circular polariser and variable ND2-400 filter.  With that variable ND filter I can get some great long exposure photos without having to stack separate ND filters (as I have been doing).  Both lenses have auto/manual focus options and image stabilisation.

They are in great condition and I have yet to take the 10-24mm out for a real workout.  I have taken some photos with it quickly as a test but it needs a really good workout which I hope to get into this week.  The 18-270mm lens has already been thrown in the deep end for an Awards Presentation Day at my workplace; those photos turned out lovely and sharp!

So, for less than the price of one new Canon lens, I have 2 used lenses that are in great condition and will see a lot of work!

The photos in this Blog Post and corresponding Google+ page are
©Life with Jordy Photography, All Rights Reserved 
and may not be used without permission.





Above and below - Test photos taken with the 10-24mm wide angle lens.
Initial reports indicate an excellent purchase!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching up.

 Well it has been a couple of months since I posted a Blog article.   I don't have any Project or roll of film in particular to share wi...