Monday 18 February 2019

Silver Efex Pro 2 - the Nik Collection


I recall years ago when I purchased my first DSLR, I was in a quandary about which editing software I should use.

As I started to search the Internet, one programme that stood out to me was Silver Efex Pro.  I used to search for photos edited in Silver Efex Pro; it seemed to be the very software that I was looking for.  It had all that I wanted for converting my photos to Black & White apart from just hitting a 'convert' button on some generic programme that came pre-loaded on Windows 95.  It did make it difficult, however, that the software was developed in the USA.  I searched the shops here in Australia but it seemed that no one had it available.

As a couple of years went by, I began to note that it was but one of a few photo editing programmes developed by a company called Nik Software, owned by private investors plus the camera giant Nikon.   Finally, about 9 years ago (or thereabouts), thanks to an article I found online, I was able to purchase the entire Nik Collection via internet download for $149.  I jumped at it and have never looked back.

In 2012, Google purchased The Nik Collection along with popular Nik Software programme 'Snapseed'.  A short while later, Google was giving away the Nik Collection for free!  Whilst many photographers were dancing in the streets about that news, it was dampened by the news only a short time later that Google was not going to upgrade the Nik Collection and that it planned to discontinue the software.  I believe that the reasoning for this was that Google wanted people to use the Snapseed programme and also use the on line editing for its new formed Google Photos page.  

A lot of sad photographers over the world realised that, with the advent of new operating systems and 64 bit processing, the Nik Collection would gradually become defunct if not upgraded.

But there was to be a reprieve on the horizon.  Once Google announced it was not updating the Nik Collection, enter DxO, a company already known for its advanced image processing tech.  DxO acquired the Nik Collection.  They were able to update the source code to make it compatible with modern Operating Systems and as plugins for other photo editing software.

Silver Efex Pro is great software for black & white conversion.  It emulates many of the effects and skills of the darkroom through preset functions.  These presets are not written in stone though, each one comes with slide controllers for a finer adjustment which means that I can take a generic preset and adjust it exactly to my liking.  I can also save any changes to a personal preset and keep it for later use.  It also uses 'U-Point' technology that allows for localised adjustments within a photo without having to adjust the entire photo.

Now that I have given you that little snippet of Nik Collection history, have a look at how I put it to use.

So, about a week or so ago, I was at a loose end.  We have been having the worst Summer heat wave that I have seen for years!  As a result I'd been hibernating inside in the air conditioning to escape the heat and the Sun.  I sat down at the computer and decided that I was going to re-visit some files and re-edit them in black & white with Silver Efex Pro.

My favourite preset in Silver Efex Pro is definitely the Film Noir 1 preset.  It enhances the contrast of the original file, and puts a level of grain into the photo that reminds me of Ilford Delta 3200 film.  Sometimes I keep the grain because it has a certain air of nostalgia about it.  The preset also puts a white border around the photo, reminiscent of the old style prints printed in a dark room as opposed to an electronic machine.  I remove the white frame because I prefer the subject of my photo to go right to the edge.  Also around the edge of the frame is a vignette that can be adjusted to represent either a burn or dodge process.  The software also offers a selection of film types; mimicking the results that would be found if processing from film. It also comes with a range of colour tones that can enhance a photo to make it look old.

Here are the results of that mini project that kept me busy for a few days.


These photos can be made available as prints.  Contact me if interested.

Copyright © Life with Jordy Photography
All Rights Reserved


2012 Pittwater to Port Stephens Yacht Race.  The yachts stopped over in Newcastle
for the night.
Port Hunter, Newcastle, Australia

2012 Pittwater to Port Stephens Yacht Race.  Yachts jostle for position prior to the start of
the 2nd leg of the race from - Newcastle, Australia

2012 Pittwater to Port Stephens Yacht Race.  Yachts racing out to sea for the final leg.
Port Hunter, Newcastle, Australia

May 2011.  A famous Newcastle icon building on the left; The Star Hotel.
 It has since been renovated and is looking wonderful with al fresco dining
outside of a night in the laneway.
Devonshire Street, Newcastle, Australia

May 2011.  This entire area has been renovated since and looks totally different today!
Newcastle, Australia

May 2011.  This entire area has been renovated since and looks totally different today!
Newcastle, Australia

Rainforest - Dorrigo National Park, Dorrigo, Australia.

The applying of the black & white effect on this has it reminding me of a
French Provincial scene.  It is
actually just outside of Dorrigo, NSW, Australia

An awesome looking country fence!
Nymboida, Australia

Abandoned Farm House - Trenayr, NSW, Australia

Abandoned at Trenayr, NSW, Australia



1 comment:

Catching up.

 Well it has been a couple of months since I posted a Blog article.   I don't have any Project or roll of film in particular to share wi...