Wednesday 3 April 2019

Win, Win! Light Seals and Expired Film!


So, I have been having some problems with a Minolta XD-7 that I picked up second hand for an excellent price (original story here).  I'd had a few problems with a light leak that I had tried to fix a couple of times but the material I was using just wasn't cutting the mustard.  I finally decided on a rubber foam that came from a craft shop.  It is about 2mm thick and is exactly as I said it is; a soft rubber foam.  I didn't stick it into runners on the camera frame where the door fits.  I just cut it to size and inserted it, figuring that when the door is closed the soft rubber foam would get pushed into the runners by the door.  I also put a wider strip down near the hinge which I was loath to do earlier on because I didn't want any pressure put on the hinge and break it.

Well it has worked a treat and now I have a light sealed camera!

I shot with a Minolta MD 28-70mm zoom f3.5-4.8 lens.  As you can see by the portraits here, opened wide at f3.5 gives some really lovely bokeh behind the subject!

The film I used for this post is an expired (2005) Focal ISO100.  Focal is a discontinued Kmart brand.  In it's day, Kmart Focal brand also produced many 35mm SLR Camera, assorted lenses and flash unit and also smaller cameras in 110 format (the much smaller sized camera that took film in small cartridges).  The Focal films were rebranded ANSCO (manufactured in the USA in New York) and Ferrania (an Italian company which was bought out by 3M, USA Company, in 1964) films.

Because this film had been frozen, I shot it at box speed.  Freezing film stops the emulsion from ageing and when it is defrosted, the emulsion on the film is just as good as brand new!

It was with a little trepidation that I loaded the film.  It costs me AU$17 to develop and scan the film at the lab and, at that price, I really want them to come out looking good!  My fears were assuaged, the film turned out great AND, there were no light leaks from the camera!

These photos were taken on various photo safaris out and about in Newcastle and on a trip to visit our Son and his Wife up in Crescent Head (which is a beautiful area along the coast of NSW!)

As you can see, the colour has turned out wonderfully from this film.  It still retains its sharpness although, when zooming in on certain subjects, I have noted that the grain is more noticeable.

The only digital touch up I have made is a very slight contrast adjustment.  I try and keep any digital editing to the bare minimum and if I have to do some digital editing, I keep it to only those functions that can be used in a dark room.


These photos are © Life with Jordy Photography.
Al Rights Reserved















No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching up.

 Well it has been a couple of months since I posted a Blog article.   I don't have any Project or roll of film in particular to share wi...