Long Exposure and ND Filters

 

For years now, I have been contemplating the purchase of filters. Filters for Black & White film and some ND filters for long exposures. When I first bought my Cokin Filter system some years ago, I opted for the package of Grad ND and 1 ND8. I have used them all but was never content with just the ND8; it didn't slow things down enough.

A couple of months ago, I decided to end my complacency. Very quick delivery from Amazon for a Cokin Nuances ND64 and the Cokin Black and White Creative Kit (yellow, orange, red and, green filters).

I decided to try the ND64 first and took myself down to the Newcastle Ocean Baths in the middle of the day to have a play. I thought it would be the answer to my need for long exposure photos taken in the middle of the day. It worked well but not as well as I thought. So, I mounted the ND8 onto the filter holder as well; a total of 9 stops. That worked pretty good.

These photos were shot in Aperture Priority Mode after setting the ISO. I can shoot in full Manual Mode but find that it is a lot simpler to do it this way and allow the camera to calculate shutter speed.

I also went along to the Glenrock State Conservation Area where a small creek runs down to the ocean over some small and not so small rock falls. I used just the one filter, the ND64. For a couple of photos I mounted the ND64 in front of a Circular Polariser. A Circular Polariser is the equivalent of about 1.5 stops and with the ND64 gave me 7.5 stops to slow the shutter speed. The Polariser also cut through some of the glare reflected off the creek but, the water was pretty hazy and mucky and was not a good look (hence me converting a couple to black and white!)

It was great to get out and use the ND filter in the middle of the day! So much so that now, I am going to purchase a Cokin Nuances Extreme ND1024 10 stop filter to further broaden my long exposure horizons.

It's my plan to use these ND filters for some Black and White Film photography as well. That will take little longer to master I think, given that I have to take reciprocity failure into account. I'm looking forward to that particular challenge!

I've yet to use the colour filters for Black and White film but will have to finish off a colour roll in the Bronica ETRSi first.


Photos are Copyright ©Life with Jordy Photography

All Rights Reserved


Stacked ND8 & ND64 - ISO100 f22 for a 5 second exposure
Canon 90D and EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM

Stacked ND8 & ND64 - ISO100 f8 for a 1 second exposure.
Canon 90D and EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM

Stacked ND8 & ND64 - ISO100 f22 for a 10 second exposure
Canon 90D and EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM

Stacked ND8 & ND64 - ISO100 f22 for an 8 second exposure - this photo 
edited in Nik 6 Silver Efex Pro
Canon 90D and EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM

Stacked ND8 & ND64 - ISO100 f22 for an 8 second exposure
Canon 90D and EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM

ND64 - I zoomed in and that enabled a smaller aperture -
ISO400 f29 for a 20 second exposure
Canon 90D and EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM

ND64 - zoomed in even further - ISO400 f32 for a 10 second exposure
Canon 90D and EF-S 18

ND64 - ISO400 f16 for a 6 second exposure

ND64 mounted in front of a Circular Polariser - ISO400 f16 for an 8 second exposure.
Not happy with the murky water!


ND64 mounted in front of a Circular Polariser - ISO400 f22 for a 13 second exposure.
The Circular Polariser cut the glare off the top of the water to reveal the rocks
underneath but, it is a shame that the water is not crystal clear!





Comments

Popular Posts