Tuesday 15 May 2012

Merewether Sunrise

The weather of late has been unseasonly mild for late Autumn with beautiful clear blue skies to top it off!

I decided upon Merewether rock pools for this Photo Safari.  I imagined lovely textured rock and calm, serene pools of water reflecting the golden sunrise and blue skies.   Hmmmm...partly correct!

A weather change had come through overnight.  There was no rain associated with it, but the seas on Merewether and Bar Beaches, and on the rock pools were really pumping!   Huge swells approaching shore and a wicked breeze just off shore whipping the tops off them as the curled their way into the sand and rocks!

Although the tide was up, it was receding however, it still meant I had to clamber over some rocks to gain a good vantage point but they were dry just under the bluff and it was easy enough to get to where I wanted to be.

As per usual (and I have been caught with this before), there was a cloud bank out to sea extending right along the horizon.  I didn't let this deter me because, as I have learned, a sunrise reflected off clouds can give out a great spread of that awesome golden light!  It just means that the actual appearance of the Sun may be a little later or sporadic dependant on the cloud type.

I have also learned to point the camera away from the sun, and capture those tones of the new light upon the rocks and landscape as the new Sun greets them.  I have uploaded one of those photos onto here and the texture of the volcanic rock with the softness of the blue water creates a wonderful contrast I think.  Hard to believe that those hard rocks will eventually give way to the incessant pounding of the water.

For all its' roughness, there were a couple of surfers out looking to catch some of those giants as they rolled into the shore.   I managed to get some great pics of one surfer as he contemplated the huge surf and, perhaps, whether or not he would dive into that turmoil.  He was there for quite a while just watching and it gave me a good opportunity to grab different pics as the light changed.  He eventually walked away but, another surfer came walking very fast along the Baths toward the same point a little while later.  I lined up the shot, expecting him to also stop and contemplate his life before joining the tumult but NO, he was straight in and I barely managed to capture him in mid dive!

The building of the Merewether Baths started in 1926, but I believe that they have been extended and renovated over the years.  They are an icon of Newcastle.  Many photographers go to the baths at all times of the day; perhaps it has something to do with capturing the sea crashing over the rocks in the background and the serene, calm water within the baths in the foreground.  Whatever the case, I could not help getting some photos to add to the already thousands that probably appear on the Internet!

I have not loaded all of the photos I captured onto my blog here.  If you wish to view more, visit my Facebook page at Life with Jordy Photography.  If you do visit, please 'Like' my page; I enjoy keeping in touch with people who have the same interests.

Hope you are all well!

 Jordy






No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching up.

 Well it has been a couple of months since I posted a Blog article.   I don't have any Project or roll of film in particular to share wi...